Business Names Act 1985
Under the terms of this legislation, partnerships must display the names of all the partners (unless there are more than 20 partners, see below) on all business documents and at the place(s) of business. This means that practices must list all the partners on headed stationery and other correspondence. If the names of non-partners (e.g. the practice manager, salaried GPs) are shown, they must be clearly denoted as such.
If the business has more than twenty partners, it is not a requirement to put all the partners' names on business documents. However, an address of the principal place of business must be given stating that a full list of the partners can be inspected there.
If the partnership name consists of the surnames of the partners, the legislation does not apply.
- Companies House - Business names as modified by the Companies Act 2006
- Companies House - Companies Act 2006: Incorporation and Names
- legislation.gov.uk website - Business Names Act 1985
- legislation.gov.uk website - Companies Act 2006
- legislation.gov.uk website - The Company, Limited Liability Partnership and Business Names (Sensitive Words and Expressions) Regulations 2009
- Trading Standards Institute - Companies and Business Names