Practice Manager Recruitment
Outline of the FPM Recruitment Service
- Initially one of our recruitment consultants will meet with the partners (this meeting takes about 2 hours and takes place at the surgery) to get a good understanding of the practice, the way it works, the sort of person the partners are looking for, and includes:
- Setting out the role, job scope and responsibilities of the new manager; plus advice and guidance on the job description and person specification (including identifying whether and how the job, and the ideal candidate, may be different to that of the outgoing manager)
- Considering accountability, support and managing arrangements for the person to be recruited (including identifying which partner will be primarily responsible for the induction and management of the new manager)
- Giving guidance on appropriate terms and conditions, in particular salary level and benefits
- Giving advice on best recruitment practice, including avoiding any form of discrimination
- Draw up the recruitment advert for approval, and place in agreed journals and newspapers
- Prepare an information pack about the practice, the person sought, and the post (this 'information pack' will be sent to everyone who responds to the adverts)
- Receive and log all applications, and summarise these onto a spreadsheet for ease of assessment. Forward the spreadsheet and the applications to the partners for shortlisting.
- Organise and be present at an interview process at the surgery (or at a nearby local venue/hotel) which takes the form of two half-day sessions: an afternoon assessment session, and formal interviews the following morning:
- The afternoon session (day 1) is a group interview with 8 candidates and comprises group discussion, a short group task followed by individual interviews with each of the partners
- The following morning session (day 2) comprises 'traditional' interviews for the best three candidates from day 1. Overall this maximises the opportunity for the partners to assess each candidate against the practice culture and values, and to measure applicants against each other.
- Our recruitment consultant provides suggested questions and scenarios for the interview panel for day 1 and day 2 and facilitates the whole process.
- Guide the partners through the process of selecting the three best candidates from day 1 to be brought for formal interview on day 2, ensuring best practice in the selection process
- Guide the partners through the process of selecting the best candidate following the day 2 interviews, ensuring best practice in the selection process
- Give advice on the construction of the offer, on making the offer, and obtaining confirmation of acceptance
- Provide a draft offer letter for the partners to use/adapt
- Provide a template letter for the practice to use to request references for the successful candidate
- Provide notes for the partners to use/adapt to prepare the induction programme for the new manager
- During the first few months of employment, keep in touch with the partners and the new manager and ensure that he/she is settling in satisfactorily
- Give the new manager free access for one year to the members' section of our website, which provides a wide range of information and support for managers in general practice
Why choose FPM's Recruitment Service?
At FPM we understand general practice and the roles and responsibilities of practice managers - over the years we have overseen the appointment of hundreds of practice managers. Existing practice managers and people outside the NHS who are seeking a career in practice management, come to us when looking for a job in practice management, and we receive dozens of quality applicants for each post we advertise.
GPs who have used our service have found the support and advice invaluable, and many have recommended the service to colleagues - click here for some testimonials.
What does it cost?
A considerable amount of work goes into providing the comprehensive service outlined above. Our recruitment consultants (who are all current or former practice managers) will put in many days work on each project. We provide all the services described above for a fixed fee of £4,300 + VAT, plus the cost of advertising (this is typically in the range £750 - £1000 + VAT).
If you are interested in our recruitment service, please contact us using our enquiry form or phone us on 0333 240 4010